WATCH spells for ‘World Association for the Protection of Tangible and Intangible Cultural Heritage in times of armed conflicts’.
It is a global network of Cultural Heritage stakeholders and a non-profit and VOLUNTEER world association. WATCH does not have any political affiliations, religious or national inclinations, and maintains the strong objective to remain neutral in order to gain credibility from all parties involved in conflicts, disputes, or actual hostilities.
- To contribute to the safeguarding of tangible and Intangible Cultural Heritage
- To develop an early detection system against risks in cases of destruction, vandalism, illicit trade, looting, pillaging before, during and after conflict.
To foster the safeguarding of cultural Heritage according to criteria set by the Hague Convention, by:
providing support and assistance in the documentation of CH, providing appropriate training programs, raising public awareness & participation, encouraging peaceful resolutions, promoting inter-cultural dialogue, providing interdisciplinary expertise, developing and assisting in contingency planning, disseminating information, creating and maintaining contacts with Military organizations (liaison).
How does WATCH achieves its objectives?
- involving the civil society and promoting public awareness;
- providing know-how on preventive measures against damage to CH in case of armed conflicts;
- supporting law enforcement agencies;
- providing training programs for cultural heritage awareness,
- offering specialized expertise;
- developing thematic targeted curricula;
- using the latest tools and technologies to raise and enhance worldwide awareness and involvement;
- by establishing means of documentation and digital recording.
When does WATCH intervene?
In case of need, before, during and after times of crisis in the areas of turmoil anywhere in the world.