The Council of United Municipalities of Jbail is located in the heart of the ancient city of Byblos. The frame of the Council of Byblos region is composed of a pool of municipalities(Union Council) to include: Jbail, Amshit, Fatri, Hallat, Naher Ibrahim, Lassa, Ain Ghoyaibe, Mayfouk El Katara, Kartaba, Ahmaj, Tartej, Mounsef, Jaj, Akoura, which head office is located in Jbail.
The Union Council is composed of the presidents of the municipalities included in the Union.
The council is composed of a decision authority called the Union Council, an executory Authority, assumed the Union Council President Mr. Fadi Martinos, the president of the municipality of Kartaba.
The President is assisted, whereas to run and manage the Union affairs, by a body of public servants, under the presidency of a manager, while counting:
- The Engineering and the Health Body,
- The Administrative and Financial body, and
- The Police one.
1. The engineering body currently headed By Architect Mr. Michel Kalife. This body assumes, in favor of the municipalities, being members of the union, the following matters:
- Studying the applications of the construction permits, organizing the technical statements, and referring the whole file to the concerned Municipality President, in order to decide about it.
- Preparing the booklets of conditions, equipment, works, and services
- To set the required technical studies, and consultancies
- To set planning
- To prepare the lists of appropriation and the detailed statements to refer them to the competent evaluation committees
- To study and give opinion concerning the housing permits.
- Health Control
- To set reports and submit them to the concerned municipality president, regarding the construction and health infringements, as well as all the infringements pertaining to the competence of this body and which count among the municipality district, and to submit them, through the chairman of the Union Board to the President of the concerned municipality.
- Further more, the Engineering and health body shall assume all common technical matters, the Union Board chairman asks it for.
2. The administrative and financial Body assumes the following:
- the administrative and financial affairs of small municipalities, which private balance sheet doesn’t allow them to hire servants or employees to ensure such works
- Assisting the member municipalities in order to improve their financial and administrative business. Yet, it is possible to assign one of the Union’s collectors to assist the member municipalities in collecting the fees beneath taxpayers.
- Financial and Administrative Affairs within the Union.
3. The Police body, within the Union, assumes the following:
- To provide citizens with awareness in order to abide by the effective rules and laws’ provisions.
- To establish reports about the infringements occurring with the district frame of the municipalities affiliated to the Union, and to submit them through the offices of the Union Board Chairman to the President of the Concerned Municipality.
- To conduct the preliminary investigations and examinations regarding crimes committed in front of witnesses and those attacking public safety, until the arrival of the judicial police.
- To provide the tasks of the municipal policemen working at the municipalities which balance sheet doesn’t allow hiring their own police officers.
- The union policemen will be assigned to such missions, according to a resolution to be issued by the chairman of the board of the Union, upon the request of the concerned municipality president.
Furthermore, the council deliberates and decides about the following matters:
- Public Projects of common utilities,
- Planning, expropriations, booklets of conditions and all necessities to execute projects,
- To coordinate between member municipalities and settle litigations occurring between them,
- To approve the union balance sheet,
- To approve the lumb account,
- To approve the rules and the cadres of the union employees, and
- To manage indivisibilities located within the frame of the union municipalities and which administration does not pertain to any specific municipality but which are actually managed by special indivisibility committees, to dispose of all their income or revenues, to realize the union projects.